Saturday 27 September 2008

Purple rash

We've all been sick for the last few weeks. Dane and I had chest x-rays to check for pneumonia. We also had conjunctivitis, coughs, vomitting etc. But the icing on the cake was when Sarah came out with a purple rash on Wednesday. I took her to the local doctor and he told me to get her to hospital immediately. Although she didn't have any of the other symptoms of meningococcal we didn't want to take any chances. At the hospital the doctors didn't waste any time getting a drip into her and pumping her full of anti-biotics just in case. It was a little scary, but a priesthood blessing gave me confidence it was nothing serious. The hardest part was trying to keep Sarah occupied. She was in isolation, so she couldn't play with the other children in the play room, and she was attached 24 hours a day to the drip (she had to take her 'puppy' with her around the room). Poor Todd had the task of staying overnight with her and got a grand total of 2 hours sleep.

At one point Sarah grabbed her drip stand and declared in front of the nurses "I want to go to another party!" Another time she performed stomach rolls for the doctor. She cracks me up sometimes.
The doctors finally worked out that she had an allergic reaction to the virus and some of the blood vessels had leaked and caused purple bruising that looked like a rash. We were so relieved when allowed to go home. Does that face look sick to you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

how miserable for all of you - glad to see that she took it all in stride though. hope you're all on the mend!

love to all, sharry

Sarie said...

I'm so glad she is alright. What a cute little face! I love the photos below, too, of Dane and Sarah. Such beautiful skin and light pink cheeks. Our babies all grow up and we all hate it so much. I guess that's how our mothers felt. Now we know!

Kristie said...

Yeah that munchkin looks soooo sick. Must have been a little scary for you initially - nothing like potentially having a nasty virus. Glad she's alright.

Dinah said...

Sorry to hear of your scary time. Kids can do that to us, deathly sick one moment and all play and laughter the next. They certainly are a roller-coaster ride. I am glad she is all better and I am hoping all the flu and cold bugs have passed on and that you are all on the mend. Sarah looks adorable and Dane of course I could eat him. I love you lots.....di

Dee said...

Another party? That's funny.
It's amazing how a priesthood blessing can help to make clear the most unexplainable problems. Truly blessed.

ariana said...

I don't know if studying nursing has made me more of a hypochondriac or less. I think when it comes to your kids you can never be too careful. Especially concerning purple rashes. I don't think those are ever good. So glad to hear that everyone is finally okay. Sarah looks like she had a blast. I am sure you did not. lots of love.

Rachel Brown said...

How trying for you all. so glad that it was not too serious. hope October brings much better days.

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hika t e

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

sorrywereallsck

Anonymous said...

hi kate, wow! your beautiful children are growing up so quickly!A few of the girls from work are getting together for morning tea at my place on Sunday the 30th November, and it would be lovely to see you! I realise that you may have church on at the same time, so i completely understand if you can't make it. If you'd like to come and want some more details, just give me a call, 0422 726 816. Take care! Bel