Thursday 7 February 2008

Whinge-fest

I've been meaning to post again since I made that grand entrance a couple of weeks ago, but its been a shocker of a week, and I didn't want this to be a whinge-fest. But we're all family right? Sarah's been sick. Now for those of you without kids (probably not many of you) you might think that's not a big deal ... but she's been sick for about a month now. Cough, runny nose, temperature and rash on and off, and very grumpy. She goes from cuddly sweet sick cherub to raging little monster in the time it takes to say "no more chips". All I can do is wait for her frustration to subside and for her to crash on me again (sometime offering grapes, blueberries or breast milk helps). Yes, that's correct - I've started breastfeeding her again. I feel like that's some sort of confession "Its only once a day, and not for very long ...". Its just so handy. It gives me a few minutes of peace, and I love to see her snuggle in, her little body relaxing on mine and her eyes rolling back in her head as she drinks in 'the good stuff'. I was planning on weaning before the new baby arrives, but one thing I've learned as a mother is expect plans to change. Ah well, it might come in handy when my milk comes in an the cold cabbage leaves aren't working.
Anyway, while caring for a sick child I've also started a new contract (for speech pathology) with a private school down the road, plan and run a visiting teaching workshop (as I'm Relief Society President), attended numerous meetings, taught a lesson, cooked and cleaned (well, intended to anyway), all the while my body has been completing my 32 week old baby's developing lungs. Talk about multi-tasking. Thank goodness for my sweet husband, who rang my mother-in-law, Cyndy and 'suggested' she take Sarah for an afternoon, to let me have a nap. I don't know what I'd do without family around. I slept all afternoon and felt like a new woman (but still one with a massive belly).
I figure life can't get much more busy, but I can hear you mothers out there saying 'wait until you have a couple of children'. It reminds me of when I was in early labour with Sarah saying to Cyndy "The contractions can't get any worse, just a bit longer and closer together" - boy, was I wrong! I admire my sister Kelly with 5 boys, Rebecca with her 4 kids and especially mum with 7! How did you do it?
Now I've got that off my chest - Life is full, but I really am so blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find whinge-fests to be a wonderfully alternate way for us to list the seemingly insurmount-able number of things we have had to do, and then at the end, when you've gotten it off your chest, you can look at it and say, "wow, i did all that and lived to tell about it. i am truly GREAT!!!"

i love you.

Anonymous said...

hey, under the influence of sarah smylie i have started a blog. come visit - www.shaddrakkspack.blogspot.com

Sarie said...

Great writing, makes me miss you. Hope little Sarah gets better and you need to start taking it easier! Once week 36 comes around it's bulge city. I'm feeling your pain.

Anonymous said...

Without getting too personal or anything - your breasts will be WHOPPING when the extra milk for the new baby comes in:)
Hope you're still coming over on Monday so we can give you and Sarah a cuddle.
Our house has had a simultaneous flea and mouse infestation and then the freezer died, stinking the place out with warm rotting meat. But it's all fixed now. We've come out the other end of the plague with the cleanest, tidiest house we've ever had - so it was a blessing very cleverly disguised.