Thursday 8 May 2008

Mastitis

...is the enemy. Its the kind of thing that comes out of nowhere and hits you like a bus. Sunday night I went to bed early feeling a little tired and slightly emotional, but nothing out of the ordinary. Monday morning I lay in bed shivering next to Dane hoping Todd would wake up soon (he was in Sarah's bed) so that he could turn the heater on and bring me pain killers and make it all better. I can't believe a little blockage in your breast can cause your whole body, inside and out, to ache and your head to pound. The receptionist at the doctors office copped a trembling lip and then an avalanche of tears when she told me to come back in a hour to see the doctor. I was so grateful for my Todd's mum, Cyndy, who looked after Dane and Sarah so I could get some rest. I was grateful for Sarah for helping out so willingly with feeding. And I was the most grateful for penicillin for conquering the enemy. It was amazing how much better I felt only 24 hours later. Thanks Mr Florey.

I just have to tell you - I think when you have mastitis your milk tastes abit sour. Anyway, when I put Sarah on to feed towards the end of the day, she didn't drink. I urged her along, 'suck' and then she came off and said "zee uzzer one?", hoping it might be a bit sweeter. My poor baby!

5 comments:

Kristie said...

Kate I feel for you. There's nothing worse than feeling ill and not being able to cuddle up in bed, by yourself, for 24-48hrs because you have little ones that absolutely rely on you. You're so lucky to have your in-laws on hand. Hope your feeling better. xx

Dinah said...

Kate: The joys of motherhood huh? Hope you are feeling better now. Love ya lots...A/di

Anonymous said...

izzy just had a bout with mastitis - who knew?! she was sick as a....well....sick as a dog!! so sorry, hope you continue feeling better. never had mastitis...we did the thrush thing...that was toe curlingly painful...if i hadn't loved breastfeeding so much that would have made me quite in an instant!

love to all.

Sarie said...

That's horrible, so glad you're feeling better Kate!

Anonymous said...

gladyourefellingbetter
itsjeesie