Saturday 10 May 2008

My hero

That's my mum standing on grandad's hand and I wish I could hold her up like that because she deserves to be on a pedestal. Mum knows pretty much everything about anything that's important - like family, faith and loving others. She taught me to be a strong woman who can do anything if I work hard enough. She taught me how to work quickly and then take time to enjoy life. She taught me to be thrifty and not to keep up with the Jones. She taught me to go the extra mile, invite the stranger to dinner, to think of others before yourself. She taught me to cook tuna mornay and clean behind the toilet. She taught me integrity and love, and to value people above things. I ring her when I'm feeling down and when I'm excited, when my children are sick and when they do something hilarious, when my calling is hard and when I've learned something new. My mum is kind and generous and everyone loves her. She takes genuine interest in others and makes them feel important. She has a rosy smile and her hugs are the real deal. I feel incredibly lucky to have her as my mother. I love you mum. xxx

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! She sounds a lot like MY Mum.
Hope you're feeling better after your mastitis attack.
I don't know why people are so worried about keeping up with the Joneses, Katie... I tend to wish people would slow down and wait for us to catch up.

Dee said...

I think I have finally caught up all my blog reading since being away for 2 weeks. I'm sorry to haer about your pains and so happy to see your babies so well fed. Adorable. I love you Mum too, my Mum is sort of the same and sort of different.

Sarie said...

We love our moms! Great post.

Anonymous said...

i love your mum - i love her ability to get things done - i love her we-can-cry-about-it-later-but-for-now-we-need-to-what-needs-to-be-done attitude, and then the love and compassion with which she does it. i always loved staying with you guys.

hope all is well. love you all.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Aunty Sharry -countless times she would walk in to my disaster site of a bedroom with a "right lets just get stuck into it" attitude - despite all my protesting and attempts to procrastinate, and I love her for it. In fact - Mum probably still needs to come round to my place with some of that attitude.

Love you mum oxox

Dinah said...

Kate: Thanks for the picture. I cried when I saw it...pass the rest on to your mother when you geta chance..........
Dear Chris: I always loved this picture and have saved it for my family album. I am like a bird gathering crumbs from every blog site of our chilren for mention of the original 8 Smylie children. You did great as a mother and sister. I love and miss you dearly.....dinah

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

IHOPEFEELINBETTTERAFTER
MASTITISATTACK
LOOOVEYAAAA

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

HIKATE
HOWAREYOUDOING

Kate said...

I'm doing great. Thanks for asking. I'm back to my normal self. Sarah and Dane are doing well too. We just got back from his 6 week doctors check and he weighs over 5kg (11 pounds). Hope you're well and happy. Do you still do trips over the Aunty Sharon's?

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

iamdoinggoodthankscomment
murphygoodtoothedog
hewillbe3nextjanuray
on26
havegratday

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

imeanthavegreatday

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hikateihaventbeenonherefirwhile
butnextismybirthdayon6thwantedletknowthat
veryexcited
goingtohavebirthdaypartytoo
andicecreamcakettoo

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

veryexcitedaboutmybirthday
iwantedletknowthatnextisnybirthday
wishmehapppybirthdayloveyaa